Monday, June 22, 2009

Oh Dating....

The other day I was talking to a friend about the recent spike in her love life. We were discussing how she has been going on numerous dates with this one guy and how it seems that everyone I know, except me of course, has had this sudden turn for the better in their love lives. This prompts me to tell her that "there must be something in the air and I am just not catching it." Being the witty person she is, she quickly responds with "well maybe you should stand outside." Now at first I just laughed at that statement, thinking to myself how funny that statement sounds, especially when talking about dating. However, the more I began to think about this, I realized she had a point. What if I stood outside? What if I took the time to put myself out there instead of expecting dates to magically appear at my door? I think that one of the problems with dating today is that nobody is willing to put themselves out there, be bold enough to say "I like you" or "I want to take you out". I myself have fallen victim to this fallacy many many times as I'm sure many other people have. So I wonder, what would happen if we all got off our asses and simply stood outside, let ourselves be open to others and finding love? Maybe we all would be happier. Maybe the world would be a little bit better place if we all found someone. So my challenge to you this week, if you are single of course, is to stand outside, to tell that person how you feel. And if you don't have a specific person in mind, open yourself up to meeting new people. Who knows, maybe the next one will be worth keeping around longer than a casual conversation over a mediocre meal!

1 comment:

  1. first of all i would like to say that i am so freaking insightful, look i inspired an entire blog! second, you should take your own advice, if for no other reason that to not be a hypocritical blogger. therefore, who is that "special someone" you are planning on saying "i like you" to?! third, i believe your inspiration for this whole new blogging obsession you have developed has stemmed from watching too many episodes of sex and the city. this entire article reads exactly like one of Carrie Bradshaw's columns.

    ReplyDelete