Tuesday, June 23, 2009

More hours in a day? Possibly....

As I'm sure you all are aware, this past weekend was father's day. If you were unaware of this fact then I suggest you quickly make your father a card and send it his way! Anyways...I have a very tight family and we all live in a very close radius to each other (this is important to know). Well, this weekend my grandparents were out of town and we were unable to celebrate father's day with my grandfather. So, tonight we were dropping by my grandparents to give Papa (my grandfather) his cards when we pull up to see the car of a man my dad did not particularly want to talk to at the time (now my father has nothing against this man, he is actually very nice and wants to buy my parent's investment property from them...however, dad did not want to discuss business with him tonight therefore was trying to avoid him). So, instead of doing the normal thing of going inside and casually avoiding the topic, dad decides to call my grandfather repeatedly while driving around the block to figure out how we can sneak into the back living room of my grandparents house and celebrate with him without my grandmother and this man hearing (who were sitting in the front living room). This process took around ten minutes (ten minutes we could have been spending with Papa), and while yes I was absolutely rolling over laughing in the back seat while it was happening (these are the kind of moments with my family that I wouldn't trade anything for), it made me start to think. There are so many things in my life I spend tons of time trying to figure out how to make perfect or avoid or put off till a later time when in reality the situation would have been over in the time it took me to figure out how to avoid/get out of it (and ultimately be put though exactly what I was trying to avoid in the first place). What if instead of trying to figure out how to get out of the all the things I felt were bothersome, I simply held my head high and got them over with? Think of all the time I would have to do the things I actually wanted to do. I could stop complaining that there are not enough hours in a day to get everything done (although this probably will not happen because from August to April there truly are not enough hours in the day) because I could probably save myself at least an hour (if not more) a day in which I could spend in a much more productive way. Just think, if everybody did this what we could accomplish as a society!

No comments:

Post a Comment